SBF Unofficial Fansite Messageboard: The Sunflower Jam Superjam 2011 - SBF Unofficial Fansite Messageboard

Attention!

This section is for reviews of things that Steve is creatively involved with - such as live performances, appearances on TV and radio, music he has performed on or been involved with in some way, or his artwork. It IS NOT for comments about anything else! If you post anything in this forum that is not relevant, you will be marked as a spammer and banned from this forum. I'm terribly sorry to be so harsh with this, but the quantity of spammers we're seeing on this section of the forum of late is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Sunflower Jam Superjam 2011

#1 User is offline   NeeCee

• Superstar Steve-Fan!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Admin

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

Hi All,

Did you go to the Sunflower Jam Superjam at the Royal Albert Hall last night?

I know it was only one song that Steve sang, but "Pictured Within" is one of my favourite songs Jon has written, and I think Steve sings it with really honest emotion. It comes across as very heartfelt, tender words that really can connect with people.

At the moment I don't have enough time to post a full review, but I'll put a few more words together for you all as soon as I can. In the meantime, if any of you would like to comment, please feel free to add your post in this thread.

Kind regards,
NeeCee

#2 User is offline   NeeCee

• Superstar Steve-Fan!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hi All,

There's a brilliant review of The Sunflower Jam 2011 on Jon Lord's website - worth having a look:
http://jonlord.org/2...-sunflower-jam/

I still have my fingers in too may pies to write more of a review right now - hope to have something for you soon.

Kind regards,
NeeCee

#3 User is offline   NeeCee

• Superstar Steve-Fan!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hi All,

Have a look!

x NeeCee

#4 User is offline   chayanka

• Superstar Steve-Fan!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hi NeeCee,
and thanks very much for the video! It's brilliant! as is the song that will always remain a very special one.
Looking forward to reading some of your impressions.

Thanks and best regards,
Natasha

#5 User is offline   NeeCee

• Superstar Steve-Fan!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

You're welcome Natasha! Lovely to speak with you again. Glad you liked it!

I will try to write a few words as soon as I can - probably at some point over the weekend.

Sorry to be so brief for this reply - will write more as soon as I can. :)

Kind regards
NeeCee

#6 User is offline   chayanka

• Superstar Steve-Fan!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

Hi,
it's nice to be back in touch, indeed:)
Take your time, no pressure:)

Natasha x

#7 User is offline   NeeCee

• Superstar Steve-Fan!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

Hi All,

Sorry it's taken me a while for me to get this to you. Here's a few words and photos from the night.

This is the view of what it was like from where I was sitting without using the zoom on my camera:
Posted Image

The screens were a blessing - if it hadn't been for the screens and the zoom on my camera, I wouldn't have been able to see much at all.

There was someone sitting near me who insisted on singing along with the songs, loudly and badly. You know, the thing is, if this had been a few years back, the volume of the music would have been so loud that there would have been no way that someone singing next to you in the audience would have been an issue. But this is 2011, and there are now measures in place to help prevent musicians (and audiences) damaging their hearing. So now, when artists perform on stage, if someone near you sings along at the top of their lungs, you hear the person next to you more than the artist.

I tried to enjoy the show, but the nearby audience member singing was really getting on my nerves. I could feel my blood pressure rising...I know Newton Faulkner did a version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" but I honestly could not listen to it properly because of this loud drunken man near me. :(

Newton Faulker (most of the photos below were taken directly from the screen)
Posted Image

Gary Brooker came out and did a "Whiter Shade Of Pale"...it sounded amazing, until "Mr Karaoke" near me decided that his vocals needed to be added, and started singing along again. That was it for me...I'd had enough. As this guy was about twice my size and had been drinking, and I felt that asking him to not sing might put me in a spot of bother, so I got up and moved EVEN FURTHER BACK to a row where I saw some empty seats.

I could still hear Mr Karaoke a bit, but it wasn't nearly as disruptive as it was before.

I loved the "Ballad Of John Henry" with Jon Lord and Joe Bonamassa...amazing.
Posted Image

Jon Lord & Rick Wakeman debuted a new song they wrote together, and joked about conceiving the title for it during a trip to the mensroom, naming it "It's Not As Big As It Was" (apparently referring to the size of the music business :D )
Posted Image

Posted Image

I've got a few more - I'll continue on the next post in this thread...

#8 User is offline   NeeCee

• Superstar Steve-Fan!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

Hi All,

Here's a bit more-

Danny Bowes (ex-Thunder) on vocals with Nick Fyffe on bass:
Posted Image

A couple of screen grabs of Steve doing "Pictured Within" with Jon Lord. I hadn't heard Steve sing live for 18 months as he wasn't able to sing at The Storys final gigs, so I was really grateful I managed to hear him do this one:
Posted Image

Posted Image

At one point there was a bit of a break. I checked the time - I had to catch a train back and it wasn't all that long until my "point of no return" would arrive, and I really wanted to see both Bill Bailey and Deep Purple. I watched as the crew moved stuff around on the stage. I kept checking the time and just wondering if I was going to have to leave before I saw the rest of the show.

Posted Image

While things were still being changed around on stage, Comedian Bill Bailey came on with a rather incredible 6-headed guitar:
Posted Image

I love Bill Bailey but by the time he finished with the 6 headed guitar and sat down at the organ to continue with a few more funny bits, I was nearly in tears because the reality of time was hitting me. If I didn't get back to Waterloo in time for my last train, I would have to prop myself up in London for the night. And on top of that, I'd sprained my ankle a few days before, and even hobbling along with a stick, walking was a painful and slow process. My ankle was swollen, hurting, and I was physically tired, so even though I'm usually pretty keen to burn the midnight oil, on this occasion I wasn't keen on staying out all night.

I was just about to leave when Deep Purple took the stage. I was able to hear the first song and a bit of another but that was it before I had to leave. I jumped in a taxi to get to Waterloo and just managed to get to the last train with literally only 30 seconds to spare.

So all told, it was great to hear Steve sing again (it had been 18 months since the last time I'd been able to hear him sing live as he had that swollen vocal cord and couldn't sing at The Storys final shows) and it's always a pleasure to hear Jon (so please get well soon Jon!) (That version of Bouree with Anna Phoebe was really something special - I've seen her before but I was reminded that she is both extremely talented and drop-dead gorgeous!) And Rick Wakeman - my word - another master...He's a bit like an octopus at the keyboard - if you listen carefully - you'd swear he has more than 2 arms and 10 digits on the keys. Dearie me, when both he and Jon were playing together - 2 masters - it was awesome! And once again I was aware that I was in one of those "this is history in the making" moments. They were absolutely brilliant.

Oh..can't forget to mention - Margo Buchanan - haven't heard her sing solo in AGES. Have seen her doing bv's on some televised concerts every so often but nothing solo/live and she's brilliant too. If you don't have her album "Should've Done This Years Ago" its very good and worth adding to your collection if you like singer/songwriter stuff (and Steve is on it a bit too!).

Actually, I think everyone on the bill was excellent as best as I could tell, it was just that a chunk of the show was messed up for me by that loud man sitting near me drowning out those on stage.

And it was a shame to miss Deep Purple. Oh well...I guess I'll have to catch them at another time.

I will see if I can find a few more shots you might like and post them if I can.

Kind regards,
NeeCee

#9 User is offline   chayanka

• Superstar Steve-Fan!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

hi NeeCee.
thanks a lot for your review and photos. I really hope next year they'll organise the event more thouroughly. But at least you've heard Steve and some other great musicians.
Hope your foot is getting better.

Natasha

#10 User is offline   NeeCee

• Superstar Steve-Fan!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

View Postchayanka, on 31 August 2011 - 12:13 PM, said:

hi NeeCee.
thanks a lot for your review and photos. I really hope next year they'll organise the event more thouroughly. But at least you've heard Steve and some other great musicians.
Hope your foot is getting better.

Natasha

Hi Natasha,

It wasn't that the event wasn't organised well enough...it's a bit hard to explain - and I mean no offense to anyone that was involved with the organisation of it, but the auction part of the evening started at the same time as they began to let the people that came only for the concert take their seats. (In previous years the auction was usually intended for wealthy people that attend the full exclusive event with the dinner as items are auctioned that are expected to bring in considerable funding for the charity.)

For many reasons (which I won't go into here) the auction seemed to be running a lot later than expected, but because it raises so much money for the charity (and essentially the purpose of this event was to raise funds for the charity), it was allowed to carry on/run late.

I totally understand their reasoning behind this, but with the auction running so late, it meant that the concert portion of the event was likely to run very late too. This wouldn't pose a problem for some people, but unfortunately I live outside of London in the boondocks where the bus service stops around 6pm. I wasn't able to drive on this occasion, and I'm too far away to be able to afford to take a taxi for the whole journey, so it was "leave before it ends to catch the train" or nothing.

So it's one of those things...I'm not rich, this event wasn't really intended for the likes of me. (The 75 I paid for my ticket is a lot of money to me, but was probably the price of a bottle of cheap champagne for those at the tables). But I did see most of the show, so things weren't too bad - I was just disappointed to miss Deep Purple.) More annoying to me was Mr Karaoke. Sometimes it is the right time to sing along with the act on stage, and other times, it isn't...

BTW - I see that The Sunflower Jam website has some new photos up on their slide show, and they should be adding more soon:
http://www.thesunflowerjam.com/

Oh -my foot...it is better but still giving me problems. Another down-side of getting older - not only do I "not bounce" like I used to, things seem to take a lot longer to heal. :( Oh well - at least I'm not using a stick now! (If it carried on, I was going to have to find a bling-stick...or maybe a hand-carved one that looks more ceremonial. I'm not quite ready to adopt a 'granny stick' just yet...) :P

Kind regards,
NeeCee

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users